Wednesday 29 April 2020

Year Two - Writing a Riddle

What animal am I?
I am about 25cm long.
I build a large leafy nest by a tree or wall.
As an adult I live alone.
I can live in the countryside or the town.
I am usually nocturnal.
The cold is my worst enemy, then it’s motor cars.
Animals don’t harm me.
I eat snails, earthworms and insects.
I hibernate so I eat a lot in Autumn.
I am often covered in fleas.
To protect myself I roll into a prickly ball.

Did you work it out?

Here's another one:

What animal am I?
I am very shy.
I am most active at night and mostly rest during the day.
My feet are webbed.
I am a mammal.
My enemy is man and his pollution. 
I am a wonderful swimmer.
I can trot and gallop as well.
If you hear a musical whistle it could be me.
To me the tastiest food is eel, trout and salmon,
but I eat other fish, birds, frogs, crayfish, voles and rabbits.
My teeth are incredibly sharp.
I have grey fur covering my slim body.

Here are the answers:
The first one was "Hedgehog".
The second one was "Otter".

Can you see how I revealed the facts about my animal gradually?
I didn't give you the biggest,best clues until nearer the end.

Can you have a go at writing a "riddle" like this?
If you can email your work to me, perhaps I could paste it into a blog like this.
That way other children in Year 2 could have a go at working out...
...the answer to your "riddle"!

No comments:

Post a Comment